Friday, July 17, 2015

Embarkation Day

This morning I'm gaining a greater understanding of what it felt like to emigrate from the "old country". Tickets in hand, looking at the ship that will take you far away to that new land of promise. Perhaps a better comparison... having loaded all the necessary items in the covered wagon you feel almost ready to head out across the vast prairies to the west. Almost... Wednesday we finalized the sale of our home of 25 years; yesterday we drove out of town to begin a journey desired for a long time. Diane and I will be traveling many miles throughout the great land we live in, visiting places and meeting people. The people part is our true destination; getting to meet and talk to other folks is important. There are times when it feels like face to face is becoming a lost art; even reaching others by a blog carries far less real information than observing that first reaction to a question or comment. As we have told others of our hopes and desires, many have responded with "I'd love to do that, too. I just don't see it happening." Part of why we'll be writing as we rack up the miles is so you might catch a glimpse of it happening... and for the rest of us. There are also other reasons to meet and speak with others as well; an attempt to sort of capture the pulse of America and the people who call her home. A half century ago, John Steinbeck wrote a book I've enjoyed several times. "Travels with Charley" was his record of hitting the road, cross country, with his dog as a companion; in that I've got him beat. Not that I'd ever compete with Steinbeck; I'd lose before starting. Ever wonder if you're the only person who doesn't feel like our culture says you ought? When I mention to folks that I often disagree with "this or that" I'm hearing or reading about surveys done, advertising, news commentaries... I get more nods of agreement than shakes of the head. So I hope to communicate the feelings of those we meet... and for the rest of us. Closing out this first posting, Diane and I are enjoying our retirement years our way. Looking at that last sentence, it seems a bit selfish; it's not meant to be. We are doing this while we can; visiting friends, family and places... for the rest of us. Let us know what you might like to hear, or see along our way. Our hope is to write weekly at ANDfortherestofus.blogspot.com Links will be on my website, www.michaeleckers.com and you can always find us on Facebook. As Buzz Lightyear would say, "To infinity and beyond".

2 comments:

  1. Well said Michael. Missing you and Diane already as I walked by your house this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The neighborhood has a big hole in it! ...eager to vicariously live the dream with you! Congratulations! LarryT

    ReplyDelete